Obama Furniture is New Furniture and Best Design for your HOME and Office.

Gray paint tutorial

I promised that on this blog January would be the......
doot, doot, doot, doooooo(trumpet sounds)
The month of Gray and White.
Here is the first gray project for the month.
A while back I took a shiny brown frame and did a gray paint treatment on it.
(If you'd like to see it click here)
At the time I promised I would do a tutorial on my paint technique and I have finally finished it!


I started with this little black side table.
They are sold at Target, but I got mine from Goodwill.


The first step is to spray the table with Krylon gray primer.



Next I brushed on some acrylic paint.
I used the Americana brand in Slate Grey.


Here's a close up.
As you can see I allowed some of the dark gray paint to show through.


Next I took some white acrylic paint and watered it down quite a bit.
I brushed it on and then wiped it off with a paper towel.


I made a simple stencil using an image from Graphics Fairy.


I used charcoal gray paint and pounced the image on the tabletop.
Once dry, I sanded it down a bit to soften it.
I also sanded around the sides on the top of the table.
I decided I didn't like the look of the black showing through, as you can see in this photo, so I touched the paint up later.


Finally, I brushed on some Minwax Dark Walnut stain.
I immediately wiped it off with a dry paper towel.
I then wiped it down again with a damp paper towel.
I love how you can see all the different shades of color, but they blend so well together.


Ta da!!!!
The finished project!


You don't need to necessarily do all steps for every project.
you can do variations of this technique.
With all faux paint techniques you really need to play with it until it looks the way you want it to.
Sometimes you even need to walk away for awhile.


I still need to add some polyurethane, but that can wait for another day.
If you have any questions go ahead and leave them in comments and then I will answer them in comments so check back. ;)
Happy painting!

WhisperWood Cottage


Furniture Feature Fridays

Photobucket



You have read this article with the title Gray paint tutorial. You can bookmark this page URL http://about-obama.blogspot.com/2011/01/gray-paint-tutorial.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Thursday, January 6, 2011

Comments "Gray paint tutorial"

Post a Comment