Obama Furniture is New Furniture and Best Design for your HOME and Office.

Ugly signs turned into French signs



This is the first before sign.
It was on clearance at TJ Maxx for $3.00, I guess because it was broken.
I loved the shape so I decided to get it and give it a makeover.
I pulled out the rest of the hooks, filled them in and started started sanding down the bumpy surface.
After all that work I realized the back of the piece was in prefect condition, smooth and no holes.
Ugh, all that work for nothing!



My first attempt at the sign was hideous (sorry no picture). I had to strip off the paint and start over.
But every time I put on a coat of white paint, tannins from the wood bled though and the white paint was pink/orange.
 I didn't know what to do so I turned to my facebook page and asked for help.
Thank you to my dad and to Tammy from Home for 6.
They said I needed to seal it. So I sprayed it with poly.
 After it dried I painted the sign again and no bleed through! Yay!


After the sign was painted white, I used carbon paper to trace an image from The Graphics Fairy.
 I then used a black paint pen to fill it in. Finally I painted a black outline around the edges.


So how do you like this sign???? :)
I found it at the thrift store and loved the shape. I think it was around $1.50.


I made this one the exact same way as the first one.
The only difference was I sanded down a few areas on the sign to age it.
Finally at the end I added a tiny bit of glaze.


It was my first time using a paint pen and I don't think I'll use one again.
 Although it made it easier to trace the letters, I didn't like how shiny the paint was.
 I have decided painting signs is not my gift.


Maybe I'll win a silhouette someday. Then I'll be whipping out signs like nobodies business!









Transformation Thursday

You have read this article with the title Ugly signs turned into French signs. You can bookmark this page URL http://about-obama.blogspot.com/2011/03/ugly-signs-turned-into-french-signs.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Comments "Ugly signs turned into French signs"

Post a Comment