Obama Furniture is New Furniture and Best Design for your HOME and Office.

Making antique style lavender glass bottles, sort of.

Image from: Dreamy Whites Shop

I thought April Fools day would be a good day to post my crafting failure.
I decided a while ago to attempt to make my own antique style lavender glass bottles.
Not everyone has access to antiques and not everyone can afford them.
And it just seemed like a fun project to try out.

Did they turn out looking like the gorgeous bottles from Dreamy Whites, that you see in this photo?
Sadly, no they did not.
boo hoo


If you've been reading my blog for awhile you know how I love to make things out of my garbage.  :)
I decided this maple syrup bottle had the right shape.
(we go through a lot of maple syrup in our house)



This soda bottle also had a shape similar to an old bottle. (love Izze soda!)

On my first attempt I watered down some purple acrylic paint and swirled it around the inside of the bottle.
I set the bottles upside down on some paper towels and waited for them to dry.
Before they dried I could tell this wasn't going to work.
They were all "streaky" and looked terrible ( I didn't think to take a picture).


For my second attempt I mixed some Mod Podge with paint and brushed it on the outside of the bottle and let it dry.
Yuck, you can see all the brush strokes!
Time to wash them off and try one.more.time.


Then I remembered a post I had read by Gingerbread Snowflakes where she made her own gorgeous glass lanterns. Click on the blog name to check out her post. It is amazing!
She used a slightly different method, here's what I did:
 Mixed Mod Podge and paint together, brushed it on the bottle in sections, then dabbed at the paint with a crumpled up piece of plastic wrap.
When dry I used a bit of antiquing glaze to tone down the purple a bit.

Holding the bottle by putting your finger in it is how you end up w/o any fingerprints on it.
 Just be careful that your finger doesn't get stuck!


Do they look like antique bottles?
No, they do not. :(


But, are they pretty lavender bottles to put in a Spring display?
I think they are. :)


....and you can never go wrong with a project that's free!



You have read this article with the title Making antique style lavender glass bottles, sort of.. You can bookmark this page URL http://about-obama.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-antique-style-lavender-glass.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Friday, April 1, 2011

Comments "Making antique style lavender glass bottles, sort of."

Post a Comment