Obama Furniture is New Furniture and Best Design for your HOME and Office.

The tale of two topiary

This fall I bought a real live topiary.
It was a myrtle topiary and cost about $25.00.
I loved that lil' tree and babied it and tried my best to keep it alive.
But I got really sick in January and it didn't get watered as it should and sadly it died.
I did everything I could to bring it back to life, but no dice.



So, for now I've decided to go the faux route.
I found this cute topiary at Marshall's.
It was half the price of my live topiary and this one will last.
From a distance it even looks real. :)



One thing that bugged me though was the small plastic pot that it came in.
I felt it wasn't in scale to the topiary.
But at the same store I found a larger pot for only $2.99.

p.s. If you look out the window you can see my neighbor going to get his newspaper.
I really hope he didn't see me in my nightgown taking these photos.



I really like the texture and design on the pot, but not the color.
Now you can't tell so much in this photo because I took it next to a bright window,
 but the pot was a very dark charcoal color.
So dark you didn't really notice the lovely detail on the pot.



I brushed on some watered down light gray paint
 and used some watered down white on the raised detail.
I let in dry overnight and when I got up in the morning I was disappointed.
The pot still looked blah to me.
It's ok if you're rolling your eyes at me now.



~Slightly out of order photo~
Unfortunately the little plastic pot wouldn't fit inside my gray pot.
So I took a hammer to it.
My three year old son held the hammer with me and thought this was great fun!



 I ended up applying clear, then dark Annie Sloan wax to the pot and
I finally achieved the look I was going for.
I feel like the wax brought out the texture in the pot and highlights the different shades of gray.. 
Hopefully you can tell the difference and I don't sound like a crazy person.



I love the fake dirt they are using in so many faux plants these days.
It really gives the plants a more realistic look.
I just had to glue the base of the topiary into its new pot and it was complete.
I am loving it!
I may try another live topiary this summer if I find one for the right price, but for now I'm pretty happy with my fancy fake lady.
:)
p.s. If you look out the window you can see my neighbor driving off to work.
 Boy, he is just determined to be in my topiary post.
What a diva!



I'm joining in at: Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here


You have read this article with the title The tale of two topiary. You can bookmark this page URL http://about-obama.blogspot.com/2012/05/the-tale-of-two-topiary.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Comments "The tale of two topiary"

Post a Comment