Obama Furniture is New Furniture and Best Design for your HOME and Office.

My Blue Armoire

This post is long over due.
I have shown my blue armoire on the blog several times, but have never gotten around to
doing a full before and after post.



Here is a picture of it in our old house after I brought it home from the thrift shop.
They were having a half off furniture day so I scooped up this beauty for about $70.00.
I love the arched top and doors and the curvy legs.
BTW: Maybe I should call this piece a high boy because of the legs ?
I'm not sure, so I'm going to keep calling it an armoire. 



I painted the piece with Duck Egg Blue chalk paint.
It took three coats since the wood was so dark.
You can see here a lot of the brown is still showing through.



After three coats of paint I sanded down all the edges and places I wanted to highlight.
I then waxed and buffed the piece.
I truly love this armoire!



The inside was made for holding a T.V.
We tried to find a small one but none of the flat screen televisions would fit inside.
I just use the piece for storage.



I painted the inside of the doors for fun.
I may get around to painting the rest of the inside some day.
 I've also toyed with the idea of decoupaging map pieces to the inside.
I'll let you know if I ever get around to that. :)



The one thing I don't care for on the piece is the hardware.
Unfortunately it is proving very difficult to replace.
See these handles on the door?
 Well the round knobs come off, but the long metal part seems to be glued onto the doors. (boo)
The handles on the drawer are not a standard size so if I want to replace them I would need to fill in the holes and drill new ones.
That sounds like a lot of work to me!


What I decided to do (for now) is use silver Run N' Buff on the hardware
 and then white wash on top to soften it.
When I white washed the piece it took off a bit of the Rub N' Buff (as you can see).
 But I can live with it for now.
Some day I'll figure out a solution to the hardware issue.



Did I mention how much I love the arched top on this piece?
I really, really, do!



I found out something new about this piece when we moved to Texas....
My husband doesn't like it! He thinks it's ugly.
Silly, silly man. ;)
I keep it in the living room which is my play room.
He never goes in there and I can enjoy it to my hearts content.

Linking Up To:
Before and After party @ Thrifty Decor Chic
The Scoop @ Cedar Hill Ranch
SNS @ Funky Junk Interiors
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Tutorials, Tips, & Tidbits @ Stone Gable
Open House @ No Minimalist Here



You have read this article with the title My Blue Armoire. You can bookmark this page URL http://about-obama.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-blue-armoire.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Comments "My Blue Armoire"

Post a Comment