Obama Furniture is New Furniture and Best Design for your HOME and Office.

Making bookshelves look better

Remember way back when I showed you this picture of my guest room. I was a little like the Wizard of Oz , telling you "don't worry about what's behind the curtain, I'll show you later." Well that day has finally arrived.

Be afraid! Be very afraid!! Messy, messy, bookshelves. Crammed full of stuff. Ugh!

The bookshelves themselves are also ugly. They are "oak" veneer. But I don't want to get rid of them because they are sturdy and they hold a lot of stuff. I don't want to paint them because, well.......I'm too lazy. ;)


So how to make them a little easier on the eyes????? First I de-cluttered and donated stuff. Then all the books and un-slightly things (like the printer) went on the bottom shelves.

I lined the top shelves with textured wallpaper. I just used packing tape on the back to hold it up and the shelves also keep the paper in place.

Here's a close up of the wallpaper.

My wonderful friend Sarah sewed some simple curtains for me using tan and cream ticking fabric. I hung the curtains with skinny tension rods.

So much better, right!!! A nice, clean ,country, look. For very little money and not too much effort either ( especially when someone else does the sewing for you, lol).

I've been gathering attractive storage boxes so I can still hide away clutter on the top shelves.

Of course I still had to have some accessories!

Garage sale basket, vintage crown tin from Ebay.

I found the ticking fabric at Walmart.

The antique Pepsi crate came from Pottery Barn. It was actually less money than crates at my local antique store. The "twiggy" basket was from the garden department at Lowes. It is meant for planting flowers.


So pretty! If I say so myself! It's amazing how much you can get done when your kid goes back to school. :)

Okay, now I'm "keeping it real' by showing you that I still have another bookshelf to do. I promise I'll show you when the project is 100% complete. I'd better get to work!



You have read this article with the title Making bookshelves look better. You can bookmark this page URL http://about-obama.blogspot.com/2010/09/making-bookshelves-look-better.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Comments "Making bookshelves look better"

Post a Comment