Obama Furniture is New Furniture and Best Design for your HOME and Office.

Pottery Barn Knock Off Lamps

I love, love, love these gorgeous lamps from Pottery Barn.
But being cheap a true DIYer I decided to make my own version.
They are not so much a knock off, more like inspired by.....


I purchased these mismatched brassy lamps from the thrift store because
their urn shape was a bit like the PB lamps.
If you can't find thrift store lamps Lowe's has some
skinny urn shaped lamps that are just a little over $20.00 a piece.


The PB lamps have this cool plaster like texture.
So how to mimic this?


I used Mod Podge and crumpled up tissue paper!
Layering it on really thick.
Once it is thoroughly dry you can use sandpaper on it to smooth it out a bit.


They looked pretty crappy at this point and I wondered what the heck I had started.


I decided to forge ahead and painted the lamps white.


Next I used glaze on all the raised areas and lived with it this way for awhile.
But, it just wasn't right.


Then I decided to paint the lamps gray and use a white wash on top.
The next morning I knew this wasn't what I wanted either.


Now this looks pretty gross.
Don't worry, it's just an undercoat of brown paint.


Ta da! Much better!
I brushed cream paint on in sections and after about 5 minutes used pieces of tape to take
part of the paint off.
You want to paint lightly so that some of the brown shows through.
When the cream paint dried, I dry brushed on some light taupe paint.


Once again a look at the texture on the PB lamps.....


And my lamps.
It's not identical, but I still think it looks pretty cool.


One more look at the two before lamps.....


Here is the after for the skinnier urn lamp.


And the after for the wider lamp.


The lampshades are cream burlap from Target.
I am looking for different shades though.
You can't use harps with Target lampshades so they wobble around and sit crooked.
It drives me nuts!
Target, I normally love you, but you really need to improve your lampshades!


I'd love to know if you give this project a try!










You have read this article with the title Pottery Barn Knock Off Lamps. You can bookmark this page URL http://about-obama.blogspot.com/2011/02/pottery-barn-knock-off-lamps.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Comments "Pottery Barn Knock Off Lamps"

Post a Comment